Once again, it’s time for our traditional trawl through the New Years Honours list for mentions of “mathematics”, hoping that better-informed readers will fill in the people this crude method has missed. I’ve found the following names:
- Steve Humble (Dr Maths) awarded MBE for services to Education (via Garrod Musto on Twitter);
- Lynn Churchman of National Numeracy awarded OBE for services to Maths and Numeracy education (via Rob Eastaway on Twitter);
- Sue Black (Bletchley Park campaigner, among much else) awarded OBE for services to technology (via Colin Wright on Twitter);
- Margherita Biller (Head of Mathematics, York College), awarded MBE for services to Mathematics in Further Education;
- Emily Shuckburgh, mathematician and climate scientist at the British Antarctic Survey, awarded OBE for services to Science and Public Communication of Science (added in an update 01/01/16, thanks to Colin Cotter on Twitter);
- Ruth Kaufman, president of the Operational Research Society, awarded OBE for services to Operational Research (added in an update 01/01/16, thanks to Catherine Hobbs in the comments);
- Clare Sutcliffe, founder of Code Club, awarded MBE for services to technology education (added in an update 01/01/16, thanks to John Read in the comments);
- Alison Allden, formerly chief executive, Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited, awarded OBE for services to higher education (added in an update 05/01/16, thanks to Susan Oakes in the comments);
- Professor Dame Ann Dowling, who studied mathematics as an undergraduate and is a Professor of Mechanical Engineering at University of Cambridge, is admitted to the Order of Merit for mechanical engineering (added in an update 07/01/16, thanks to Rebecca Waters in the comments).
Are there any others I’ve missed? Please add any of interest in the comments below. A full list may be obtained from the Cabinet Office website.
Ruth Kaufman, president of the Operational Research Society has received an honour (OBE I think – list not in front of me right now).
Lynn Churchman. Founding trustee, National Numeracy. For services to maths and numeracy education. (Elsworth, Cambridgeshire)
The founder of Code Club, Clare Sutcliffe, also received an MBE for services to technology education.
Alison Allden. Formerly chief executive, Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited awarded OBE for services to higher education. (Bristol)
Professor Dame Ann Dowling (who started her career as a mathematician) receives the Order of Merit for mechanical engineering.